Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Adventures in Babysitting!

Lately we have been watching a few little kids to make some extra money. It's hard work but the kids are super funny and fun to be with. However, there is one little boy that is just a little extra challenging. His mom and dad are both from Argentina and therefore speak spanish-this detail is crucial in just a second. They came over one night last week to meet me and make sure I wasn't a psycho before leaving their only son with me. We went over Michaels likes and dislikes and his mom's work schedule. Then, at the very end, she told me, "Oh, and Michael only speaks SPANISH!" Wa?? I am thinking to myself, "Well,I only speak English." So the little boy can speak with Tom just fine since he speaks spanish fluently but I can only understand a little bit. Luckily, Michael can understand english for the most part since he watches American TV. Although right now I really wish I would have listened in high school spanish class. I guess the teachers were right when they said that we would actually use this stuff in real life. Who knew I would be babysitting a little boy who only speaks spanish. Katie has taken it upon herself to teach the little boy english. Everytime she asks him something and he says "si" she tells him to say "yes". It's too funny that my five year old has become an english teacher. This is truly an adventure in babysitting!

No comments: