Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Be Prepared and Ye Shall Not Fear

This past Friday Tom got called into his boss's office and was told that on Monday there will be lay offs and to be prepared. All weekend long we were wondering if Tommy's job was a thing of the past. Sure enough come Monday morning Tom got THE BOOT! However, regardless of being unemployed for the moment we are not scared of the future that lies ahead of us as we have prepared for an event like this. We have money set aside for emergencies, food storage, and a great family and wonderful friends that have offered tremendous support. The words Be Prepared and Ye Shall Not Fear are truly prophetic! I do not worry about the future, the unknown is scarey, but the new opportunity the lies ahead of us is exciting. I have no doubt that listening to the prophets counsel of paying tithing, setting aside food and extra funds, and avoiding debt will give us a sense of peace during shakey times. I just know that Heavenly Father has something better for us that we have no idea about right now. He has taken care of us and watched over us in the past and I have no doubt that He will watch over us in the future. The second verse of Be Still, My Soul applies perfectly to our situation at this time...

Be still, my soul: Thy God doth undertake
To guide the future as he has the past
Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake;
All now mysterious shall be bright at last.
Be still, my soul: The waves and winds still know
His voice who ruled them while he dwelt below.

7 comments:

Colleen said...

I'm so glad you guys were smart enough to be ready for this! I'm sure a great opportunity will come along and everything will work out. We'll keep you in our prayers.

Jana said...

First of all...thank you so much for your comment on my blog..I really appreciated it.

Secondly, I am so sorry that your family is going through this trial. In times like these I am so very grateful for the prophets council of being prepared. We never know when we'll need it. Way to go for being such a good example. Our family is praying for you. I'm sure something even better is just around the corner.

Melisa said...

Jen, It is so unforunate that these events occur in our lives. Know that our Hevenly Father is aware of you and your families needs. I only say that becuase I too saw the blessings that came from my dad loosing his job so many years ago. We pray that Tom will find a better job and it will be at the right time. Hang in there and know you are in our thoughts and prayers:)

AudyCamp said...

Man..it's just some hard times for so many people right now! I'm so sorry this happened. Remember it's just a test and you'll come through with flying colors..I know it. I have an email to send you that you'll appreciate.

Mary Davis said...

Sorry, to hear about this event in your life. Tommy will make something happen for your family. Good luck and let us know if you need anything. We will keep you in our prayers.

Mindful Mothering said...

Jeni,

Thanks for sharing your awesome outlook and preparedness... For some reason I was recently drawn to read Elder Maxwell's 'All These Thngs Shall Give Thee Experience' Hard times really are some of the best learning experiences :-)
Thanks for your example.

Sarah

Freeman Family said...

Jeni, I am sorry to hear about Tommy's job. I know you will get through it. When I first met you, you I could tell what a strong person you are. Please let me know if I can do anything for you. Also, I miss seeing you at dance, maybe we can get the girls together, you guys can come over and swim!! Let me know, do you have my number still?-Amy